Dam engineering is one of our core services and we strive to provide our clients with innovative solutions to meet dam safety and performance standards. Our employees have expertise in hydrology, hydraulics, geotechnical engineering, and structural engineering to support the complexities of dam engineering design.
We have experience performing dam assessments, rehabilitation analysis, and rehabilitation design under the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) Watershed Rehabilitation Program. We have in-depth knowledge of NRCS design procedures and requirements for planning and rehabilitation design. Our NRCS design experience spans all phases, from design of spillway repairs to preliminary design of water supply dams to full rehabilitation design of earthen dams.
We also have experience performing dam safety evaluations for dams regulated by various regulatory agencies and we can perform pre-feasibility and feasibility studies for hydropower projects. Typically, these studies include preliminary dam inspections, hydrologic and hydraulic evaluations, energy and economic analyses, and preliminary environmental reviews. Our employees are well-acquainted with the relevant regulations, allowing us to navigate the complex regulatory process from filing for the preliminary FERC permit to obtaining the initial FERC license. Two of our employees are FERC approved Independent Consultants (ICs) having completed over 50 Part 12D safety inspections combined, as well as a significant number of Potential Failure Modes Analyses (PFMAs).
The following is a list of specific dam engineering and hydropower services that we can provide to our clients:
- Dam assessments and safety inspections
- Earthen dam design
- Spillway rehabilitation and protection design
- Preparation of construction documents
- Construction inspections and oversight
- Hydrologic, hydraulic (including CFD), and dam breach modeling
- Inundation mapping
- Incremental analyses of Inflow Design Flood
- Emergency Action Plans
- Pre-feasibility and feasibility studies
- FERC preliminary permitting and licensing
- Potential Failure Mode Analyses
- Routine dam safety inspections and Part 12D safety inspections